Friday, June 04, 2004

The Year of the Dragon

The Year of the Dragon. I knew it even before I did the math. Gram and I were both born in the year of the dragon! I knew we had a lot in common. Wow, I was lucky that she was so young when I was born. She was only forty-eight - Mom was fifty-eight when Brianna was born. I couldn't help be reminded of Gram for some reason as I met Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Which and Mrs. Who in A Wrinkle in Time. Guess because ultimately, they were all about love and that describes Gram to a tee.
_____________________________________

It occurred to me that this would be the perfect place to start recording a writer's journal of some sort. Reading Robert Frost's poem, "The Road Not Taken," we get the idea that it's okay to choose the tougher path. But I've often yearned to know more about that path. Perhaps that's part of the mystery: forging our own way as writers. And yet, something stirs within me when I read authors bios. I look for something to which I can relate. Most of their bios are reflective; writiers recalling their beginnings. I'd like to record my thoughts here now, while I've just stepped off the highway and barely begun to beat down the undergrowth of the path I've chosen.

Does this make any sense? If it doesn't, I'll just blame it on being a beginner!

1 comment:

Cheryl Wright said...

Of course it makes sense Dianne. It makes perfect sense.

I am amazed at how our thoughts travel along parallel lines.

I'm so happy to have been directed to your blog. I don't spend a lot of time reading a variety of blogs and I am not an avid "blog commenter." However, I can read Unfinished Work for hours and must fight the temptation to comment on the many posts that resonate with me.

Cheryl