Thursday, July 29, 2004

The Ladies' Meeting

"What am I doing here?  I don't like these things."  These were my thoughts as I arrived at the ladies' meeting at church tonight.  I went only because a girl in my adult Bible study class mentioned that the speaker was her grandmother, a Hungarian Holocaust survivor, and I simply couldn't resist the opportunity to hear her.  I've always been interested in anything having to do with WWII.

The crowd was larger than expected and the room was hotter than it should have been.  The opening minutes dragged on over a half hour while we fellowshipped and snacked and the microphones were adjusted.  Then Marianne Fisher took her place behind the podium, all five foot of her, dressed in a snappy pastel pink suit and we were transported to Budapest, Hungary during the 1930's. 

For over an hour, she shared her story in a simple, straightforward style and soft Hungarian accent, interspersed with perky bits of humor.  She related the account of her life during the Nazi occupation, the subsequent Communist oppression and her coming to the States, and how at every turn, God showed Himself strong on her behalf.  Her story was amazing, but even more so was her testimony of faith and love for her Messiah.  Here was true faith - pure, simple and unadulterated. 

After the meeting, I hurried up to thank Marianne for sharing her story and was immediately engulfed in the best hug I've had since my dear little gram passed on.  Then she (Marianne) looked me straight in the eyes and said, "You let God use you."  And that's really what it's all about, isn't it?  When I left the church, I knew the answer to my original question.  What was I doing there?  There's no doubt in my mind, I was right where God wanted me tonight.



No comments: