Friday, September 29, 2006

Five Ingredient Friday: Spaghetti JMW


Spaghetti JMW is a longtime family favorite around our house. Growing up, my mother often made this dish which she referred to as "Spaghetti John's Mother's Way" - the way my dad's mom used to make spaghetti. At some point, I decided the name needed to be shortened, hence Spaghetti JMW. It's quick, it's easy and it works with a variety of pastas & meats. (To my knowledge, we've never written this down before so pardon the estimates)

1 lb. cooked pasta (spaghetti works, but I've also used penne and macaroni)
1 large can whole tomatoes (stewed tomatoes also work but I prefer the chunkier whole ones)
1/4 - 1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese, sliced (the light version works just fine)
1/2 lb. bacon cooked and coarsely chopped (1-2" pieces) (do not overcook!) (I've also used kielbasa or turkey kielbasa)

Empty tomatoes into a bowl and crush by hand. Cover the bottom of 9x13 pan with some of the juice. Layer pasta, tomatoes and cheese until pan is full. Sprinkle chopped bacon over the top. Cover and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, then baked uncovered a few more minutes until bacon is crispy.

I've also made this in a crockpot, and I think it's equally delicious with turkey sausage or kielbasa, sliced into 1/4" medalions. My mom used to use cover the top with whole sliced bacon and then drizzle the bacon drippings over the top before baking. I think it's easier to serve and it with chopped bacon and I skip the bacon drippings.

Now I'm hungry but it's 2:00 am.

11 comments:

Rae said...

Now I'm hungry as well. Great recipe! I love that it's so versatile...AND can be made in a crockpot! I've never had spaghetti w/ bacon either.. yum! Thanks for sharing! =)

Anonymous said...

I am coming up with all kinds of great combinations just from this one recipe. So versatile!

Pamela said...

Very intriguing! Love the twist on an old favorite, and can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing! :)

Enjoyed reading your previous post and feel like that statement means we must stay on task and remain faithful. :)

Unknown said...

Oh--YUM! Is it bad to be craving bacon and Velveeta at 7:25am?

Girl Raised in the South said...

And since you didnt tell me how many points, I guess I can just scoop out how much I'd like to have, then put half back, right? Half. That will work. Sounds gooooood.

Ms. Kathleen said...

It looks yummy and pasta is always a hit at my house. Thanks!

Overwhelmed! said...

Yes, this sounds delicious. I think Snuggle Bug will like it when I make it for him. :)

Thanks for participating in my Five Ingredient Friday recipe exchange.

I'm glad you managed to secure the #1 spot in the Mr. Linky list for my post. That's what you get for not being able to sleep. ;)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Sounds delicious! And it'll go over well here - anything involving pasta and cheese seems to be a hit! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I too have never had spaghetti with bacon! I'll have to give it a try!

Unknown said...

I guess it's time for me to confess that I love Velveeta. This recipe sounds delicious!

Barb said...

This really does sound good, Dianne, especially if I can do it in my crockpot. I think I like the idea of putting a little of the bacon drippings on it. That would keep the pasta from getting stuck together. I usually add a few drops of olive oil to pasta for that very reason. I definitely will be trying this.