Thursday, August 10, 2006

Thursday Thirteen: Thirteen Accomplishments

So earlier this year I got the bright idea to start my own writing business. (This is a side thing; I work full time but am aiming for the day I can quit and do something from home instead). It hasn't exactly been "booming business," but when I look back over the past several months, I can see each little accomplishment being an important step in the process.

  1. Prospected a client (on a writers' board I belong to someone was looking for a writer).
  2. Drafted a business plan
  3. Learned about confidentiality agreements
  4. Created my own brochure in MS Publisher (NOT the software of choice for this!)
  5. Designed my own business cards
  6. Worked with a printer to get my stuff printed (the guy is dragging his feet a bit - grrr)
  7. Figured out my rates
  8. Put together a proposal
  9. Downloaded and set up billing software
  10. Completed several batches of work for a client
  11. In the process of putting together a marketing plan/mailing
  12. Set up my own domain and business email
  13. Most important - sent out invoices!
So there you have it! Thirteen things down, many more to go.

I'm too lazy to grab a cute header today but if you enjoy Thursday Thirteen, you can check out others here. And here's the TT code. If you're kind enough to visit my blog today, I'll be around to check out yours later this evening.

6 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Great list, Dianne! It's so easy for me to focus on the negative or on things I haven't done, but it is so important to look at the progress we've made. Good job on making the list, and also on moving forward in your writing business!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed! That all sounds a bit daunting when you list it all out like that. You should give yourself a big pat on the back :)

Have a great day!

Jeannine said...

That is an impressive list. My husband is busy reading books about how to write a business plan and you already know how to do it. :-)

Unknown said...

That's really great. I hope it does take off for you.

Islandsparrow said...

Wow - you've done well Dianne! That's a lot of work. Hope your business flourishes

Susanne said...

I'd say you accomplished a lot!!