Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Thank You for Being There

Tonight my husband paid his respects to the family of a dear friend who lost his battle with cancer. I'm proud of the way he was a friend to this family over the past years while his friend struggled. He was just there for them.

How many times have we thanked a friend for just being there for us? They may not even have said a word. We were just glad they were there. Their presence came as a cherished gift.

I'm trying to remember that, in the same way, Jesus is always there for me. Sometimes it's so easy to forget to acknowledge his presence. I tend to be of the mindset that I somehow need to get to him, when in reality, he's already with me. The other day in my journal, I wrote "thank you for being there for me" without even thinking. Sounded like something I'd say to a dear friend. And then it occurred to me, that's exactly what he is to me - a dear friend.

I'm not sure but perhaps the key is not spending more time with God, but rather becoming more aware of his constant presence in my life. What would that look like?

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. Psalm 139:7-10