Saturday, January 20, 2007

Craving Red Meat

So about four times a year I really, really want a piece of red meat. Steak, lamb, veal . . . today I had a hankering for pot roast. Good succulent, melt-in-your-mouth, falling apart, tender pot roast. Now my husband hates red meat. In fact, it's safe to say if he has to chew it - he hates it. His tastes run towards pasta and ground meat dishes. Your basic soups and sandwiches easily satisfy him. Heck, he loves hospital cafeteria food. So pot roast is very low on his toleration list. I think I've made it about four times in the ten years we've been married. THAT probably factored into the results tonight.

I got home from the store with that precious piece of promised to be tender chuck roast. In my hurry to start the feast, I totally forgot to sear the meat. And it was just the biggest piece of shoe leather you ever tasted. I wouldn't even let my husband near it, for fear he'd never try it again . . . not even when I finally make that knock-your-socks off roast. I called my sister and she confirmed - there's no hurrying pot roast. Gotta cook it in the crock pot or three hours on the stove top.

So that's the story of my red meat craving. Now what should I do about this chocolate craving?

6 comments:

gail@more than a song said...

Sorry your roast didn't turn out, sounds like it would have been good. As for the chocolate craving, have something yummy! I want some too!

Tami said...

Break out the M & M s!!

Anonymous said...

Take the not so good pot roast, cover it with water, bullion, onion, and waterver veggies you like, and cook it on low for 6 hours. It will be falling apart but not shoe leather, give your husband the soup part, and you eat the pot roast part.

I make a huge pot roast ( on a wire grate in the bottom of my crock pot with an inch of water in the bottom) and cook it on low over night.The next day I throw in the veggies and cook it for a few hours. When everyone eats what they want I cover the meat with broth or water, add more veggies and cook it over night again. Then I store the beef soup until the next time they want it or add flour and put it in a pot pie.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Chad enjoys a good pot roast every now and then, but the only way mine turn out good is in the crockpot. I, too, enjoy a good steak a few times a year. But Camden is like your husband, and he is rather vocal about his dislike of "chewy" meat. :)

Ms. Kathleen said...

Shoe leather pot roast does make good bar-b-que sandwiches. Honestly. Cut it up, add some water, put on low, add the remaining ingredients from your recipe and it will soften up.

As for chocolate -- do you want my fudge recipe ;)

Barb said...

I don't know, Dianne. I'm not a chocolate lover. Maybe you should cook it on the stovetop for a few hours? Or maybe you should pour it over the roast. :-)