Monday, January 22, 2007

The Blog Meme

Do you like the look and content of your blog? Pretty much so. I love the warm colors of fall, and the picture I chose seems to go along with my theme. As far as the content goes, sometimes I read other blogs and think they're so interesting and mine seems kind of blah. But it is me and that's all I can be.
Does your family know about your blog? My sister and mother both read it.
Can you tell your friends about your blog? Nope. I'm not really good about promoting my blog. If one of them came across it somehow, it would be okay with me. But I'm just not one to tell someone "hey, wanna read my blog?" I do keep in mind the fact that you never know who will come across your blog, so that keeps me accountable.
Do you just read the blogs of those who comment on your blog? No. For one thing, I don't get a whole lot of comments. I do visit the blogs of those who comment, but about once a week, I try to branch out and visit new blogs. That's why I appreciate when people keep a blogroll - it's a way to introduce each other to new blogs.
Does your blog positively affect your mind? For the most part, yes. It's an outlet for me to express myself in an organized fashion. I can wander around in my thoughts forever, if you know what I mean. Blogging forces me to organize my thoughts and get to the point, even in my own life. That's why I enjoy writing devotional type entries - it kind of solidifies in my mind what I think God is trying to teach me.
What does the number of visitors to your blog mean?
I struggled with this one for a while and so I signed up for a stat counter, just to see if anyone really read it. What amazed me most was seeing how my blog was visited as a result of people googling a topic. I don't really check the stats much at all, but it made me realize you never know who you might influence.
Do you imagine what other bloggers look like? Not really. I'm not curious in that way. Well, one person I'd like to see a picture of is Susanne, because I'm sure she really looks nothing like the cartoon on her blog!
Do you think that blogging has any real benefit? I think it's been a great way to connect with other women, and as someone who enjoys writing, it provides a place to hone that craft. The best thing about it is that there are no real rules, other than the unspoken ones of common courtesy. There's a place for the busy blogs that provide a bedrock for the blogging community, as well as the blogs (like mine) that are really just a place to tie down those random thoughts bumping around in your head.
Do you think that the blogosphere is a stand-alone community separated from the real world? In a way, it is. It's not for everyone.
Do some political blogs scare you? Do you avoid them? Yep, like the plague. I'm not the least bit controversial, so I really don't have any use for those blogs that feed on debate and controversy.
Do you think criticizing your blog is useful? I'm critical of it enough, thank you very much. If someone had a constructive comment for me, and offered it privately, I would probably give it some thought. But to criticize someone else's blog is like criticizing someone else's home - we're all different. If I need your help (which I'm sure I do!), I'll ask!
Have you ever thought what would happen to your blog if you died? Nope, I really can't think that far ahead!
Which blogger has had the greatest impression on you? Hmmm. That's hard to say. I think I keep going back to Robin Lee Hatcher's blog. I'm always pleasantly surprised there because she has such a balanced mix of posts - from devotional type entries, to writing thoughts, to interesting insights on the current culture. Hers was really the first blog I started following faithfully, so you could say it was my intro to blogging.
Which blogger do you think is the most similar to you? Well, she's way more advanced as far as the technicalities of blogging go, but I'd have to say my friend Katrina is most similar to me. I think she's WYSIWYG, which basically means "what you see is what you get." Now I know her better than most, because she's a FIRL (friend in real life). But she's just herself, and that's how I hope I come across on my blog - it's just me.
Name a song you want to listen to. Oh I'll probably pop in Escape by Jim Brickman when I get to work today. This question confused me as well.

Like the others, I'll leave this as an open tag. As a bonus though, I've listed all the questions below so that you can easily copy and paste your answers on your own blog. If you participate, I'd love to come check out your answers.

Do you like the look and content of your blog?

Does your family know about your blog?
Can you tell your friends about your blog?
Do you just read the blogs of those who comment on your blog?
Does your blog positively affect your mind?
What does the number of visitors to your blog mean?

Do you imagine what other bloggers look like?
Do you think that blogging has any real benefit?
Do you think that the blogosphere is a stand-alone community separated from the real world?
Do some political blogs scare you? Do you avoid them?
Do you think criticizing your blog is useful?
Have you ever thought what would happen to your blog if you died?
Which blogger has had the greatest impression on you?
Which blogger do you think is the most similar to you?
Name a song you want to listen to.

7 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I loved reading all your answers, Dianne. I always enjoy your posts - and yes, you are very real on your blog. Reading your entries is a lot like sitting down with you for some good conversation and Panera yummies. :)

Barb said...

How clever of you to put the list of questions at the end so it's easy to copy them.

I've always enjoyed your blog because it's peaceful. I do love the look of it - it fits the tone of your writings perfectly.

I don't even remember how I first found you but when I found out that you and Katrina and Bev all go to church together, I really became interested. I love coming here. You're a good writer (something I'll never be) and you choose interesting subjects.

Very honest answers to these questions. This is one of the best memes that's gone around in ages.

Unknown said...

You're so kind to put ALL those questions at the end. It was a long one. I enjoyed your answers.

I also liked your blogroll perspective. I'm working on mine. . . . Hmmm.

Girl Raised in the South said...

I enjoyed reading this - anything that gives us insight into each other is always nice. And Barb's right - nice of you to list the questions so they're easy to copy and paste. I'm with you - devotional writing, or humor. But the heavy duty, foot stompin' stuff I avoid like the plague.

Tonja said...

I enjoyed reading the answers to your questions, as I am new to the blogging community. And it really seems like that to me...a community of like minded women sharing their journey through life. I've only been writing my blog for a week, so I know I have lots to learn. So, thanks for inspiring me today.

Susanne said...

You are funny! I'll tell ya that the picture is a bit backwards. My head is not bigger than my body. Pretty much the other way around. :v)

You are pretty thoughtful putting all those questions together for us like that.

I loved your answers Dianne! When I come here it's peaceful to me. There is a sense of calm and peace and when you got your new design it just added to that!

gail@more than a song said...

Enjoyed reading your answers Dianne. And I love the look of your blog too, the colors are lovely.
I tend to stay away from political stuff too....I can be opinionated but know I probably won't change anyone's mind and they won't change mine usually.