Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Word of the Week: Rhythms

Seems like lately I run across a word several times, in my reading or listening to a message or on a blog somewhere, and that word just sticks in my mind for a while. So I decided to start an occasional feature called "Word of the Week." It's certainly not meant to be an exhaustive study of that word; just a little tidbit and something to think about.

This weeks word is "rhythms." It's funny to me that I like this word. Because rhythms says "music" to me and I can't play an instrument to save my life. Piano lessons as a kid were a nightmare for me, as was the time my pastor thought it would be funny to make me sing in the choir - or maybe it was even in a trio with my mom and sister. Ugh!

But "rhythms" as I've come across the word lately means more than just being able to keep time to music. To me, it's a way we make space for God in our lives. Unlike the rigidity of a schedule, establishing rhythms in our lives is more fluid. It's being sensitive to God's leading and work - a kind of going along with the flow, so to speak. There's a book on my reading list called "Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation" that I'm looking forward to reading. I love the idea that our life rhythms - the day in, day out living - can be sacred. But for now, I'm just enjoying the beauty of that word as well as a few new rhythms in my life this summer.