Friday, August 24, 2007

Word of the Week: Laugh

I remember the first time I was ever truly stumped. I was cruising along in first grade, when one day the teacher wrote this word on the chalkboard: LAUGH. And challenged us to pronounce it. Looking at it today, it's such a simple, light and fluffy word. To a six-year-old who thought she had a handle on reading, it spelled DOOM. Something I did not know. I remember the extreme frustration I felt as I made silent guesses, the sounds tripping over my lips like a cat expelling a hairball. Such was my introduction to the amazingly contradictory rules of the English language.

Today I look at this word and I see smiley faces and exclamation points. It's a happy word. But one we wouldn't have if the English language wasn't brave enough to break a few rules, would we?

Just a challenge to laugh at something today. May you find astonishment in the ordinary and be blessed!