Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Reflection on Psalm 23

A state of not wanting . . .
Green pastures . . .
Quiet waters . . .
A restored soul . . .
Paths of righteousness . . .

As I read this Psalm penned by the shepherd-king thousands of years ago, I can't help but wonder: are these phrases indicative of a literal resting we can experience today? Or are they (as I don't believe) merely metaphorical? If they are descriptive of a life available to us in Christ, then why sometimes do we insist on nurturing such a frantic pace in our lives, instead of making space for God to work?

To look at my schedule, you wouldn't think I'm going at a frantic pace. Time is not my issue. I don't need to have a booked up schedule to feel fulfilled. Neither is "stuff" so much a problem for me. My struggle is simple: I think too much. I've got too many mental projects going on. Too many ideas. Too many books (yes, I actually have come to the conclusion that it's possible to read too much!)

Space is something that's on my mind lately. How do I create space for God to work? What do I need to clear away so the good can grow? For me, it's learning to focus on one thing at a time. I can't listen to worship music, check email, read my Bible and be writing a blog post at the same time, although believe me, I've tried! I'm trying to slow down and really listen.

Maybe for you it's something different. Maybe it means clearing away some of the literal clutter in your life, as my friend Bev has drastically taken steps to do recently. Or perhaps it's as simple as better managing your time on the Internet, as Laura at Organizing Junkie has taken steps to do recently. Maybe you need to be content with leaving some space in your schedule, which may involve some no-saying. Perhaps there are some "people" issues cluttering your heart, some things you need to forgive and forget. We all have, and will always have, something in our hearts vying for our attention, taking up space that God wants to occupy.

I want to live contentedly. Satisfied and secure in God's provisions for me. Resting in his work, not mine. Refreshed by his Spirit and his Word. Focusing on just the next step on the journey. Will I trust him to shepherd my soul? Will you?