Monday, October 09, 2006

Other People's Books


Well, they're not really other people's books now - they're mine, all mine! Yesterday morning, bright and early, I headed for the library sale of a neighboring community. I've been anticipating this sale for weeks; I even got up last Saturday to go before realizing it was still a week away. I was surprised to find a line of people yesterday at 9:00 am waiting for the doors to open. A good sign, indeed, except I hate crowds. And not many crowds are worse than the ones you encounter at a book sale! Experienced book-salers will unashamedly plant themselves in the aisle as they scan tables or shelves in search of that perfect buy or push past you to reach for that prize find. Yesterday was no exception. I only lasted about 30 minutes before I felt the crowd closing in around me.

Nevertheless, I managed to snatch up a few treasures before escaping in search of fresh air. Believe it or not, I have a lot of restraint when it comes to book sales. (Good thing, my husband says or it could be ugly!) I rarely buy fiction. I usually look first for old books. Books on writing are always a winner (hey, if you can't write 'em, read 'em!) I always check out the religious non-fiction section, and then scout around for a classic or two. It's not beyond me to pick up a gift or two at a book sale.

Anyways, here's what I came away with; not bad for $25, considering the three old books were $5, $3 and $3.

3 books for my nine year old niece:

  • Mandy (Julie Edwards)
  • Understood Betsy (Dorothy Canfield Fisher)
  • The Quilt Trilogy: A Stitch in Time (Ann Rinaldi)
For me:
  • Surprised by Joy (C.S. Lewis)
  • Quiet Moments for Working Women (Mary Welchel) (This one's going to work with me!)
  • Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Ann B. Ross)
  • Writing Down The Bones (Natalie Goldberg)
Also a couple old books:
  • Longfellow's Poems - no date noted
  • A Cricket on the Hearth - 1928 (anything old & Dickens works for me; this is the 2nd Christmas volume of his I own but I couldn't resist)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (1898)
For Gifts
  • Quilting by Machine (you're welcome, Mom!)
  • Heartfelt Sampler (a little daily calendar of quotes and verses)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love books and old books are so great! I went to a library sale with Stacy & we both bought stuff! I don't know if I've ever read Mohicans before but we love the movie so I should give it a try sometime. Do you quilt? Or just giving that one as a gift..I so want to learn.

Susanne said...

Thanks to your influence I found myself at an antique store on Saturday looking through all their old books. And it was fun! I especially liked ones that were on the lives of the prairie settlers. Didn't buy one this time. But I think I'm hooked! (Hubby's not gonna like this!) :vD

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Wonderful finds!

But, um... I feel it is your obligation to alert me when there are book sales in the area. I am completely oblivious to all local goings-on, so I need someone to inform me. :) And don't worry - I'll give you first dibs on everything. :)

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Oh wow, that looks like a lovely haul!! As my sister Gail said, I just went to my first library sale a couple of months ago and I'm definitely hooked. I'm going to scout them out in the local paper and definitely go again. I had a blast and came away with some great books - as you did!

The 1898 Mohicans is way cool :) And of the ones you got yourself, I've only read the Miss Julia book. I love those books, they are light and sweet and so decidedly Southern!

Enjoy all those wonderful books :)

Unknown said...

If you haven't read it already, read Mandy before you give it to your niece. It's one of my all time favorite books ever ever. I remember reading that book with wonder at her existance when I was in elementary school. When I came across that very same edition as you got at a used bookstore, I was so excited. Amanda loved it as much as I did. We read it aloud and it was wonderful.

I love love library sales. I usually go at the beginning, but then I fill up a sack on "free day" at the end, too.

Jeannine said...

Hurray for book sales! I'm glad you were able to find some treasures.