Monday, October 30, 2006

God Loves Me

Pretty simple concept, huh? I mean, haven't I known this since I was a young girl singing "Jesus Loves Me"? Yet I think what I've always known is "God so loved the world." That he love his entire creation so much that he sent his Son to die for us. To be honest, I haven't thought much about the fact that he loves me. I've been too busy trying to ensure my own worthiness of his love. Or something like that. Quite unsuccessfully I might add.

It's funny. We hear the same truth from both God's word and that old deceiver, Satan: "we are not worthy." But whereas Satan seeks to beat us down with that ugly truth, God simply steps in and solves the problem. He makes us worthy. The amazing thing is, nothing I do takes him by surprise, makes him regret his "before the foundation of the world" decision, or is beyond the scope of his love.

I think Paul explains it best in Romans: You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly . . . But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:6,8)

We may not always feel loveable, but we are always loved. Period.

3 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

It is often much easier to think of God's love in general terms than to realize just how much he loves us - me - personally... Thanks for this reminder.

Susanne said...

What a beautiful reminder to start off the week. Being assured that God loves me. Period.

Dionna said...

Amen.