Monday, May 29, 2006

Sometimes Good Things Must Go

Two years ago I planted a couple of grape tomato plants in my garden. Big mistake! While I was thrilled at first to see them thriving, it wasn't long before I began to resent their invasive takeover of my garden space. It seemed everywhere I looked, grape tomatoes were entwining themselves around and choking out my other plants. Oodles of little red bulbs overflowed onto the paths between the beds and were promptly squished beneath my feet. Never again, I vowed, as I tore them out at season's end.

But last spring, I noticed little tomato sprouts popping up all over my garden. Having a tender love for all things green, I could hardly bring myself to pull them out. And so we had a sequel: Invasion of the Grape Tomatoes II. Needless to say, I've learned my lesson. This morning as I worked in my garden, I ruthlessly uprooted the devilish little buggers right along with the weeds.

As I worked, I couldn't help but feel God speaking to me. It's so easy for me to clutter my life with good things. Good things that somehow manage to choke out the best things. I find it very easy to relate to Martha of Bethany when Jesus had to gently rebuke her in the midst of her frustrating dinner preparations. No one can deny that she was involved in a worthy cause and important tasks, but somehow she missed that "better thing" - time with God. (Luke 10:38-42)

I'm not sure exactly what this means for me right now but I have a pretty good idea that I need to reevaluate some areas of my life. I'm sure there are lots of good things that are crowding out the best things.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I also was thinking of trying grape tomatoes. I love to eat them, but it's good to know how "hardy" they are.

It sounds like God is really working on moving you to a cleaner, better place. Keep us up to date on your journey.

Islandsparrow said...

A thought-provoking post Dianne - thanks.