Saturday, May 06, 2006

The Diner

Every since we first bought our home, I've insisted on having bird feeders around the house. I grew up in the country, and love being surrounded by the wonders of nature. I enjoy the predictability of their morning wake up calls, especially on Saturday mornings when my husband would rather sleep! Thanks to them, I don't need an alarm to ensure I'm up early.

Unfortunately, I fail to keep the feeders full with the same predictability the birds offer me. My husband and I have a standing joke about "the diner." We imagine a conversation between the birds something like this:

"I don't know, dear. Where do you want to eat?"

"Well, there's that little diner on Main Boulevard that's always nice."

"True, but half the time they're out of food. So unpredictable. Let's go down the street to Susie's instead."

I'm committed to renewed faithfulness this year in keeping the feeders full. It doesn't take much really, just a little bit of my time on a consistent basis.

Likewise, I've been reminded that God wants me ready with good things to offer the people I come in contact with on a daily basis. A positive word, a promise of prayer, a smile or word of encouragement; whether on this blog, in my home, at work or elsewhere - I want to have that "word fitly spoken" to share with those who cross my path. It doesn't take much, just a little bit of effort on my part to share freely as God has given to me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This really cracked me up. I read it yesterday, and thought of it again today as I noticed a couple of birds around our (empty) bird feeder.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Love the bird story! I keep thinking I need to get a bird feeder, but I fear mine would remain empty most of the time. And Dianne, you often have just the right word for me!

Dianne said...

You know, C would probably love a bird feeder. Mike bought me a great one several years ago that is confirmed squirrel-proof and (best of all) holds five lbs. of bird seed, so I never have to fill it more than once a week. Truly the way to go. (can you tell i'm not in the mood to work today :()