Saturday, September 08, 2007

There's a New Scone in Town! Tomatoes Too!

I went to the local bagel place today, part of a chain of places that offers among other things, free internet wireless and these delicious scones made with ham and cheese. I was in line to buy a few bagels for my husband and a scone for myself when it occurred to me: I could make 8 of these for less than the cost of one! About an hour later, this was the result (the recipe makes eight - I shared!):


All I did was modify this recipe for scones, posted here below with modifications:

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup diced ham
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 T parsley
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 large egg

DIRECTIONS

  1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and parsley. Quarter butter lengthwise, then into 1/4 inch slices. Work into flour mixture with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir ham and cheese into flour mixture.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.
  4. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
  5. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut into 8 triangles; place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature. They are just as good the next day, if they last that long!
While I'm at it, might as well mention that this idea for roasted tomatoes is out of this world! I made two trays Wednesday night and two more on Thursday night. I also made the sauce Lisa recommends and it is to die for! It's worth the little bit of effort it takes. Each tray makes about a freezer bag worth, and I used half of one bag to make some of the sauce, which yielded about two cups. I took some to work yesterday, with some plain pita chips, fresh mozzarella cheese and roasted red peppers. We killed it! I like how Lisa put it: I'm just saying!