Monday, September 10, 2007

The Middle Years

I thought about titling this post "A Middle-aged Woman." After all, I'll turn forty-three next month. And yet, I hardly feel middle-aged. I feel like I'm just beginning, in so many ways. Even though I am coming to accept the reality that at least half of my life is probably behind me, I am confident that "the best is yet to come." The following prayer spoke to my heart this morning and I wanted to share it here:

A Prayer in 'The Middle Years' of Opportunity

Lord, help me now to unclutter my life,
to organize myself in the direction of simplicity.
Lord, teach me to listen to my heart;
teach me to welcome change, instead of fearing it.
Lord, I give You these stirrings inside me,
I give you my discontent,
I give you my restlessness,
I give you my doubt,
I give you my despair,
I give you all the longings I hold inside.
Help me to listen to these signs of change, of growth;
to listen seriously and follow where they lead
through the breathtaking empty space of an open door.

from A Celtic Daily Prayer