Monday, February 12, 2007

Imprisoned Splendor

That's the title of yesterday's reading in Glimpses of Grace, a compilation of short readings from the works of Madeleine L'Engle. I thought this was too good not to share.

Look! Here I am, caught up in this fragment of chronology, in this bit of bone and flesh and water which makes up my mortal body, and yet I am also part of that which is not imprisoned in time or mortality. Partaker simultaneously of the finite and the infinte, I do not find the infinite by repudiating my finiteness, but by being fully in it, in this me who is more than I know. This me, like all of creation, lives in a glorious dance of communion with all the universe. In isolation we die; in interdependence we live.

I appreciate the reminder that we are part of both finite and infinite. It puts today into perspective for me. How about you?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Thank you for sharing--Madeleine L'Engle is one of my favorite authors! I will have to check this book out.

Unknown said...

Hey, I'm finally reading a Circle of Quiet. I'd like to buzz right through it, but even it makes me think.