Tuesday, February 01, 2005

I'm Glad God Recycles!

". . . from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: II Cor 5:16-18

I'll admit I always pictured God getting so fed up with this messed up earth someday that He finally hurls it off into oblivion and starts all over again, hence the promise of a new heaven and new earth. But today on the radio I heard someone explain that "new" in this sense may not necessarily mean starting from scratch. It could also mean "being transformed or renewed."

While I'll leave the theological and eschatological lines for others to debate, the verses above came to mind. I'm grateful God is a patient potter and willing to work with what He has - in my case, that's certainly not much. How much more patient ought I to be with myself then? The question is not whether God is working in my life, but whether I allow Him to work without getting in the way.

No comments: