Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Book Review: The Garden of the Soul

Are you seeking to incorporate the spiritual disciplines into your life, but unsure of how that looks? Do you know that something needs to go so that you may live more attuned to God's voice, but not sure just what? Do you know you need to "be still and know that He is God" but can't seem to get off the treadmill of daily living?

If your heart answers yes to any of the above questions, you'll love The Garden of the Soul: Cultivating Your Spiritual Life, by Keri Wyatt Kent. The spiritual disciplines are for every Christian, but The Garden of the Soul puts them into the practical framework of a woman's life. Keri likens attending to the needs of our souls to tending a garden. In a refreshing and engaging manner, she takes a look at some of the areas we often tend to neglect, such as the need for solitude and silence, prayer and fasting, and Sabbath rest. She humbly shares from personal experiences some suggestions for incorporating spiritual disciplines into the landscape of our souls. Each chapter wraps up with a few questions for personal contemplation.

I found this book in our church bookstore a few months ago and have been taking my time reading it. I'd never seen this at any of the local bookstores, but Bev of Blessed Beyond Measure read an article by this author in Today's Christian Woman and promptly ordered some of her books for our church bookstore. Excellent choice, Bev! I'm sure this book would be a great read any time of year, but it seems especially appropriate smack dab in the middle of spring and major planting projects.

P.S. After writing this review this morning, I happened to see a link on Lisa Samson's blog to a review Keri did on Quaker Summer. Needless to say, I'm thrilled to have happened on a wonderful new author as well as another great author blog! Small blogging world, huh?

3 comments:

Keri Wyatt Kent said...

Dianne,
thanks for the positive comments re: Garden of the Soul, and on my blog. You can learn more about my books and my ministry at www.keriwyattkent.com
I'm glad to learn of your blog, it looks beautiful and I'll be a regular visitor.
Keri

Unknown said...

Dianne--those spiritual disciplines are always in need of some new light on the subject as further encouragement to me. Thanks for the review!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

This book has been on my shelf (okay, actually in the row of books by my bathtub) for a while. I think you've motivated me to pick it up sooner rather than later.