Thursday, March 16, 2006

Worst Ever Dog Toy

Last Saturday, my husband picked out what we both thought would be a great toy for our Boston Terrier, MacGyver. It was a open-webbed rubber ball, about 6" in diameter. We gave it to Gyvers to play with in the bathroom for a while (don't ask) and soon heard him happily enjoying his new plaything. About 30 minutes later, I checked on him and yuck! The toy was big enough for him to grasp in his mouth and shake, and in doing so, he'd managed to fling slobber all over the semi-clean bathroom - doors, floor, walls - everywhere! Ugh! Hubby grabbed the toy and put it up for a while. I went to wipe Gyver's paws off and ugh again! He was covered from head to toe with his own slobber. There was nothing left to do but head for the laundry tub and a much needed bath. Poor little guy just looked at me as if to say, "what did I do?"

I don't stop loving my dog however, when he makes one of his famous messes, even though that's not exactly what I signed on for when we got him. The same is true in my life when I make a mess of things: God never stops loving me. I may not fling slobber all over the place, but sometimes my attitude is rather stinky. I'm subject to bouts of extreme negativity and tend to focus on problems rather than my abundant blessings. Sometimes I can picture God reaching down to me, when I'm ready to give up my nasty mess (which for some reason I've actually been enjoying). He gently picks me up and His love washes over me like a cleansing stream. I'm so glad God is patient with me. I'm so thankful for His new mercies everyday.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Oh my! I laughed and laughed at that picture you painted of your dog and his new toy!! Thanks for starting my day with such a delightful post... :) ... Debra