Tuesday, October 04, 2005

5000 words per day

That's how many words author Angela Hunt estimates she averages daily. http://alifeinpages.blogspot.com/2005/10/q.html

Wow, that boggles my little pea brain. It shouldn't really. It comes out to about 625 words per hour. That's doable, nevertheless astounding to think of maintaining that for eight straight hours. Then I recall I generally send about 50 emails out per day at work. If each message
contains an average of 30 words, that's 1500 words right there. Add in the special text on all the orders I create and the tally's over 2000 words. I suppose if I added in all the words spoken in the course of answering the phone and taking orders, I'm probably putting out over 3000 work-related words per day. So, yes, I probably have enough words in me to make a living off them! It's just a matter of focus and discipline . . . I know a daily word count is impossible as long as I'm working 10 hour days, but 1000 words on my day off and weekends would be a good goal.

What's your WPD average? Or your goal?

2 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Sigh...Does more than zero count? :)

Sarah Anne Sumpolec said...

Interesting - I don't think I could write for eight hours straight!

I go by pages rather than words. I find four pages is pretty realistic for me, though six pages is do-able. Any more than that and I start to get glassy-eyed.

Of course, I do have three kids which occupy most of my time right now!