Thursday, July 07, 2005

Slug Fest 2005

Slug Fest: a period of days on end during which one feels like a total slug, and yet, unable to muster enough strength to break free of the rut, appears to be enjoying this present state

That describes most of 2005 YTD for me.

I feel good when I'm in God's word on a daily basis. I feel loved and secure when He speaks to me through His word.

I feel so alive when I'm exercising and eating right. Nothing beats working up a sweat on the treadmill or an early morning walk that ends with a quart of freshly picked berries.

I'm so happy when I'm writing and giving way to the kajillions of thoughts bouncing around in my brain, eager to escape onto paper.

So why do I stare miserably into my closet each morning at the few remaining outfits that I fit into? Why do I moan and groan about pain, knowing it's mostly a result of poor eating habits and lack of exercise? Why do I deliberately choose to read something else, anything but my Bible day after day? Why do I jump on the Internet when I should be writing?

Tonight it occurred to me this is more of a slug fest than I first jokingly described. It's a true slug fest - a real, honest-to-goodness, knock-down, drag-out battle. I'm right where the Enemy wants me to be: feeling attacked and defeated. But I don't have to live on the losing side. Recognizing the Enemy is half the battle. Knowing victory is secure in Christ is everything.

No comments: