Monday, April 11, 2005

Deep Cleaning

I'm so anxious to get my kitchen put back together and I'm almost there! It was tempting to be content with the newly painted cabinets and walls, but something in me (perhaps memories of cleaning house with my Gram) knew I had to deal with what was on the inside. And so I've spent the last two days cleaning my cabinets, putting down new shelf paper, and most importantly, purging them of junk and seldom used items. Wow! What a difference. It's not likely anyone will ever notice the insides of my cabinets, but I would know if I was hiding a mess in them!

Aren't our lives like our homes in a way? We can appear totally put together at church and when we're with others, but only God and we know what messes lurk behind that pleasing appearance. Sometimes we don't even realize what kind of junk we're hiding until we buckle down in the Word of God and prayer and allow God to reveal some of these problem areas. I don't want to just look good on the outside. I want to know that my heart is right with God, day in and day out.

Psalm 51

3 comments:

Peg said...

Ouch!!! So true!!! I wish inside of me was as clean as my cabinets and house are right now! One day they will be!

Paula said...

Wonderful thoughts. So true. I am wildly thankful that God knows every messy place and loves me just the same! And I'm just as grateful that He promises to keep cleaning me up!

Donna J. Shepherd said...

Good post, and so true. Let's get cleaned up, inside and out. Thanks- Donna